« Home | Shoot to Kill - The Front » | Captain Face - Small Joy » | Against Me! - White People For Peace » | Drive By Argument – Sex Lines Are Expensive Comedy » | Strike the Colours – The Face That Sunk a Thousand... » | This Familiar Smile - What Kind Of Monster Am I?’ » | Captain Face – ‘Awesome! No Way!’ » | Dumb Instrument - Songs Ya Bass Vol. 1 » | Emma Pollock » | Explosions in the Sky » 

Saturday, July 21, 2007 

Blind Pew - Hungry Young Fighter (single)

There’s no denying that we all feel a bit cheated by those cheeky meteorologists. You know, those ones who promised us another scorcher of a summer? I myself have been wholly disappointed with the murky grey presence that’s recently been hanging about in Glasgow’s midsummer skies like a wayward teenager. I turn instead to my trusty old computer, in the hope that a good dose of new music will suffice as a metaphorical heat wave. As ever, MySpace doesn’t let me down, and I come across a band whose songs call to mind the smell of melting tarmac on a sizzling July day.

Blind Pew’s new single, “Hungry Young Fighter” (released on 16th July) stands out as a bona fide reggae-funk-pop masterpiece that makes no hard job of banishing my weather related blues. Positively bursting with a groovy and infectious brand of energy that only Scotland seems worthy of producing lately, I find the constant Razorlight comparisons rather insulting. Combining bass lines that wander more readily than a Big Issue seller, and glorious call and response vocals that nearly peep out of David Byrne’s monolithic shadow, it appears as if Largs may have just produced its first super group.
> Vicki Cole