« Home | Attic Lights » | De Rosa » | Sucioperro » | Bricolage » | Quinn » | Eoghan Colgan » | Sixx » | Strike The Colours » | Friends Outreach Programme » | The Science » 

Thursday, August 17, 2006 

Fivefifteen

>> No Spitting Involved
>> Ltd Ed Single


The first time I heard the riff from ‘No Spitting Involved’ I thought of the Big Lebowski. I have absolutely no idea why. But when the first line ‘I’ve been looking for a brand new carpet’ erupted from my speakers it all became a bit clearer – the song has the critical ingredients required to make a Coen Brothers plot! Talk of a ‘crazy blonde haired Dutch guy’, calling for help in finding the ubiquitous carpet and unearthing unsavoury backstreet bars make for a frankly bizarre lyrical canvas. It’s not for me to say, but I highly doubt that the protagonist’s tale is actually true but then stranger things have happened at sea. And in Aberdeen.

The rest of the single lacks the punch of the first track. ‘We’re Rock ‘n’ Roll Make Believe’ comes close with some trippy organ work and some tight riffs but it ultimately comes off as a not-quite-as-good Primal Scream (and I’m no fan of Primal Scream – to put it gently).

I reckon that this is a band that could do well. They have some good ideas and have tied everything neatly into a block-rocking everyman format. The right night in the right venue and they’d have the audience in the palms of their hands.

>> Russell Moore