« Home | Paolo Nutini » | Impure Thoughts- ‘Lights Ahead’ » | John Alexander » | Keith Robinson » | Recliner » | Table 57 » | The Ideal Panic » | 4th Parallel » | Hazey Janes » | We Are The Physics » 

Monday, November 20, 2006 

Kasabian - Empire

On principle alone I hate Kasabian. They’re ballsy, they have silly opinions and they’re “right into their music”. And plus, they hate Franz Ferdinand. I assumed I’d be able to return the favour by hating their album in equal measure, but as luck would have it I’m slowly beginning to realise that Kasabian are more than just the lowly jesters of the Lad Rock Court.

From the grandiose cherub inscription on the cover to track names like “Empire” and “British Legion”, everything about Kasabian’s second effort is done on a royally grand scale. It’s comes as no surprise, then, to find that the music falls in line as well. Singles “Shoot the Runner” and “Empire” are pretty typical rock tunes, featuring loud guitar and an intense groove. They basically encapsulate everything that Mr. Gillespie has already shoved down our throats. It’s a shame that people like me only get to hear the one dimensional Kasabian, because the most interesting thing about this album is that it improves as it progresses.

“Sun/Rise/Light/Flies” represents a whimsical foray into Arabian acid rock (if such a thing exists), incorporating big strings, exotic scales and plenty of fuzzed up vocal reverb, with just the faintest whiff of “Let Forever Be” thrown in for good measure. Likewise, the strong synth bass line on “Seek and Destroy” wins me over, calling to mind the more vociferous ramblings of The Music. As it turns out, Kasabian can handle synthesisers rather competently too.

Contrary to the norm, I find myself enjoying the second half of the album vastly more than the first. On “British Legion”, Tom Meighan sounds eerily like a young Bob Dylan. “We’re gonna make it through…” he warbles gently to his listener.

“Apnoea” also caught my eye because I just had to find out what the word meant. It refers to a condition found in new born children in which their breathing is temporarily suspended. I admit that I picked up the album with a feeling of dread, but have come out the other end hating Kasabian a little less. They’ll never take my breath away, but I can learn to live with that.

> Vicki Cole