« Home | ASSEMBLY NOW - Graphs, Maps & Trees/Calculate" » | Blind Pew - Hungry Young Fighter (single) » | Shoot to Kill - The Front » | Captain Face - Small Joy » | Against Me! - White People For Peace » | Drive By Argument – Sex Lines Are Expensive Comedy » | Strike the Colours – The Face That Sunk a Thousand... » | This Familiar Smile - What Kind Of Monster Am I?’ » | Captain Face – ‘Awesome! No Way!’ » | Dumb Instrument - Songs Ya Bass Vol. 1 » 

Friday, July 27, 2007 

MR HUDSON AND THE LIBRARY - ""Picture Of You"

On first listen I found this a bit twee, but patience brought it's own reward as this is a definite, "grower". Birmingham born but London based Ben Hudson is in the classic songwriter view, mixing literate lyrics with reggae and a touch of hip-hop.

"Picture of You" is a bitter sweet juxtaposition of the vagaries of fame and the harshness of separation. The rueful lyrics, offset with a ska beat and some majestic tinkling on the piano deal with the problem of how to strike a balance, with the album version being the standout on this August 27th release. "It's always the sunny days that bring me down, when I'm reminded that you're not around. Friends try and fail to make me smile, but I had the answer with me all the while. I've got a picture of you wherever I go, a sweet reminder from you to me that I'm never alone. If time should bring me fame or a touch of bling, (Imagine that, getting paid to sing). You can keep your cars, cigars and frosted rings, without you here they just won't mean a thing", sings Ben as he laments the time spent apart.

Is it good enough to bring him chart success? Probably, but that depends on all important airplay, but in a time when so many lyrics are saccharin coated doggerel he at least writes fluently and deserves to be heard. The instrumental was somewhat extraneous but that is to be overly harsh; there is a lot to commend this.

Colin Dunn

There's a great dance remix of this record by Seamus Haji!

Post a Comment