« Home | Crowded House » | Right Hand Left – Johnny Ray » | Foals – Mathletics » | Crowded House – Don’t Stop Now (Parlophone), The E... » | PAUL WELLER AND GRAHAM COXON - "This Old Town/Each... » | MR HUDSON AND THE LIBRARY - ""Picture Of You" » | ASSEMBLY NOW - Graphs, Maps & Trees/Calculate" » | Blind Pew - Hungry Young Fighter (single) » | Shoot to Kill - The Front » | Captain Face - Small Joy » 

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 

Babyshambles

Delivery

Hello everyone! I hate the Libertines, Pete Doherty, every band that’s ever been inspired by either of the afore-mentioned and, not forgetting, I hate Babyshambles! Great start; let’s see where it goes…

Well my o’ my! Apparently capable of not popping sacks full of scag directly into his eye sockets for the duration of recording a single, Pete Doherty and his Babyshambles have actually crafted something that can be listened to and (gulp) enjoyed… I’m going to pay for this (not in cash mind you – karma!)

I should take back my comment about the scag too – there’s every chance that Pete did manage his daily dose of the stuff while recording this single and I wouldn’t want to de-mystify the main reason why so many of his fans seem to find him enthralling.

‘Delivery’ has a concise, direct sound that makes for an ideal single. Jangling guitar peaks with a hop-along riff and some clearly audible pop melodies. And to top it off there’s a fairly inventive solo and some bonus melodic guitar to boot. The band as a whole seems to be invigorated by something; a distinct air of showing what it could well be made of.

Who knows, after years of sub-par guff and ripping the piss out of fans who seem to remain more than happy to pay money to see the band, Babyshambles might have pulled up its socks and started to care. I honestly thought I’d never see the day.

This is definitely not going to change my mind about Pete and his merry band of cohorts, but at least it’ll make hating him easier on the old ears.

Babyshambles might appear at Glasgow SECC on 1st December. Supported by The View (Christ…)

www.babyshambles.net
www.myspace.com/babyshamblesofficial

Russell Moore